Monday, September 03, 2007

Two Local Shoutouts

For those of you who live in the Spring-City / Royersford area, I wanted to let you know about two great family businesses Amy and I have discovered nearby. I'm a big fan of supporting little Mom & Pop operations over the big chain stores when at all possible, especially when their offerings are as good as these two.



The first is called "GreenWorld Farmer's Market", and it's just over the river from us in Spring City, next to the car wash on Bridge St. Now despite it's name, I wouldn't really call it a farmer's market in the local sense of the word, seeing as the produce I've bought has sticker saying "Grown In Canada." But regardless, they have some really nice food for dirt cheap. Red peppers for $1.69 a pound, romaine lettuce at $0.99 for 3 heads, etc. I got all the food shown in the photo to the right for less than $15! Already it's saved us a ton of money on our weekly grocery trips. I will say that you have to pick through the stock at times, since some of the food appears a little bruised. But for as little money as we're paying, a little digging is fine with me. They also sell a really mean batch of wasabi peas at prices way cheaper than the local Giant, for those of you with adventurous taste buds.





The other local standout is Renninger's Farm on 2nd Avenue, just south of where Royersford is. All summer we've enjoyed their wonderful peppers, peaches, and tomatoes (I especially recommend the peaches, they are amazing). Some of their tomatoes have been the size of large softballs! They also sell fresh herbs and flowers. As fall approaches, I'm excited about seeing what their squash offerings will be.

No comments: