Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Yummy Food for 5/22/07
As those who know me will tell you, I'm a bit of a food nut. I love cooking in general, especially when it's off-my-head, spur-of-the-moment style. I can't bake worth a damn (all attempts usually end up either flat as a pancake, or exploding in flames), mostly because it requires such precise measurements.


So, in the great tradition of food bloggies such as Jennifer from Last Night's Dinner, or even Houseblogs.net's own Reluctant Remodeler, I've decided to start posting some of my own creations from time to time. So, without further ado, I give you:

Seared Bay Scallops With Tomato Dill Sauce

This was my first attempt at using the more petite cousin of scallops, and I'm happy to report I found some success with them.


I've been told that the most important thing when picking out scallops is that they smell fresh and salty, and not at all fishy. I then thoroughly rinsed them to rid them of any leftover sand (I don't like my seafood that crunchy), and patted them dry with a towel.

Before searing the scallops, I sauteed some turkey bacon and garlic in the pan to release a little fat and flavor. I then set the bacon aside, and sauteed the scallops for about 3 minutes with just a little salt and pepper as seasoning. You don't want to overcook them because they will become very rubbery.

Next, I poured in about a cup of Chardonnay (Jacob's Creek, of course :)), half a can of diced tomatoes, and a palmful each of dill and parsley (I used dry but I'm sure fresh would be nice as well). This mixture was simmered for around 5 minutes, at which point the scallops were put back in to be warmed through.

For an accompaniment, I steamed some edamame and snow peas. Edamame is a wonderful side that both Amy and I enjoy... too bad it's so expensive!

Finish by sprinkling some of the bacon over top of the scallops, and voila!

No comments: