Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Our First Homeowner (Semi) Emergency!

On Sunday, our washing machine decided it was going to quit working in the middle of a load of wash. We tried various methods of coaxing it into working, ranging from asking it nicely to slamming the lid in disgust. When the latter actually brought about some change, I guessed the problem had something to do with the lid switch. So, I pulled out my trusty voltmeter (thanks Dad for reminding me to get that) and cracked open the back panel of the washer. One problem: the washer is in a position that can't be moved very much, so I was forced to climb behind it!



Needless to say, this was not a particularly comfortable position! First, I had to drain the supply lines (hence the re-used Philadelphia Eagles popcorn tin), then crawl behind the machine to unplug it. Let me tell you, there are very few places filthier than behind the washer and dryer!

Here's a pic of the necessary tools assembled:



So I didn't electrocute myself, or wreck the machine in the process, I acquired a wiring diagram for the machine. Well, OK, we found one stuffed into the back panel. But I would have gotten one if we hadn't found this one! :) Here's what it looks like:



Thanks to www.applianceaid.com for the diagram.

First, I tested the switch for continuity (that's a fancy way of saying I wanted to see if the lid switch actually worked). Here's a great diagram of how to accomplish this:



Needless to say, the switch failed miserably. I basically ended up hot-wiring the thing so that it always behaved as if the lid was closed, by connecting the red, black, and yellow wires together. After plugging the machine back in, I crawled out and turned the washer back on. Thankfully, it worked on the first try! We're ordering the part from a local appliance shop, and it will hopefully arrive soon. Until then, at least we have a working washer!

*WARNING*: I did this because we don't have kids, and neither I nor my wife plan on sticking our hands in the machine while it's running. I don't recommend it if you have little ones running around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed Josh!